Notre Dame was founded in February 1869
The Notre Dame Catholic College was originally the residence of the Sisters of Notre Dame in Liverpool, and began as a pupil-teacher centre with links to local primary schools. The collegiate school did not actually come into existence until 1902, with this merging with the pupil teacher centre in 1908. It was known as Notre Dame Collegiate School and became a direct grant grammar school in 1946 as a result of the Education Act 1944.
The sisters did not move out of the building until 1978 due to the expansion and the intake of the school building, and the school building also followed this expansion to pave the way for the institution to become an all-girls comprehensive school in 1983, which also tallied with the amalgamation of both St John’s Secondary Modern School and St Catherine’s Secondary Modern School to form Notre Dame High School in the same year.
In 2001, the school inserted the word ‘Catholic’ into its title to become Notre Dame Catholic High School, but 2002 saw the school become a specialist ‘Performing Arts College’ – returning the institution to a College as it once originally was.
The former all girls College began accepting boys into Year 7 in September 2012. Boys were already enrolled into Sixth Form. In September 2013, the College moved to a new, state-of-the-art building next to Everton Park sports centre on Great Homer Street as part of the wider Project Jennifer scheme.
Following the tradition the form classes in each year group are named after Sisters of Notre Dame.