16-19 Bursary Fund
This guidance is for all institutions that administer the 16 to 19 Bursary Fund. This includes schools, academies, FE colleges, sixth-form colleges, training providers, independent specialist providers and local authorities.
The guidance is non-statutory and sets out the arrangements the Secretary of State intends to make under section 14 of the Education Act 2002.
It clarifies a number of areas in response to queries raised by institutions and students, these include:
- promotion of the 16 to 19 Bursary Fund through feeder schools to raise awareness, and help students make better informed post-16 choices;
- clarification on how the 16 to 19 Bursary Fund can be promoted by institutions
- advice on the frequency of payments to students
- the effect of benefit changes to Defined Vulnerable Group Students;
- the error criteria which the EFA will use to determine if payments need to be recovered from an institution
- advice on getting students and their families to sign a declaration statement when applying for support from the 16 to 19 Bursary Fund